AFE Survivor Samantha

Mar 17, 2019 | AFE Survivor

It was 1 am in the morning of Jan 11, 2019, I got the call to go in to start to be induced. I got to my room and they checked how far I was along, at that time I was 80% thinned and 2 cm dilated. They gave me my first pill and waited 4 hours for absolutely no progress. The Dr. told me to walk around the hospital for an hour so off I went. Contractions started and became pretty strong so I went back to my room and they checked my progress. They were still the same as when I went in so I took a second pill, by this time it was around 9 in the morning and of course I was getting anxious to meet my daughter. The nurse came in and told me a peanut ball would help to get me dilating so we stuck the huge ball between my legs and waited some more.

After about 2 hours my Dr. came in to pop my water bag and get things going. About 20 minutes after my water was broke I got a really pounding headache that just seemed to come on strong out of no where so I asked for Tylenol, as the nurse was getting the pills for me I began to feel a hot sensation starting at the top of my head and continued down my face. My sister in law was with me and I told her something was wrong, she had noticed the babies heart rate didn’t sound normal so she rushed out to get someone. Thank goodness my Dr was sitting right outside my room as I was not doing well. She came in and informed me I may be going in for an emergency cesarean. Next thing I knew they were pulling all the monitors off me and were pushing me into surgery. My sister in law called my husband and told him to get to the hospital as fast as he could. My surgery lasted maybe 20 min, but I was not aware of what was going on. I could feel the life leaving me as I lay on the gurney. They closed me up and at that point my sister I law noticed there was still lots of blood. She asked my Dr. why and she said it’s from my surgery. She wouldn’t take that as an answer and made the team check me over, that is when they noticed I was vaginally bleeding badly. I’m told the second surgery to stop the bleeding was 6 hours and they had lost me twice. I woke up that night in ICU unable to move and wondering where my baby was. My husband just kept saying she is beautiful, but I was confused as to why she wasn’t with me. No one would tell me anything. I’m now told I am a miracle and so is my beautiful daughter Bayleigh.

We finally met on Sun the 13th at 10 pm in the antepartum wing of the hospital. My recovery was very fast for someone who had died 2 times. I was released 4 days after my daughter was born. I am so grateful to all the hospital staff and my hero Sheena Carman (my sister in law) she saved my life by going with her instincts and making sure we were a priority. I owe my life to her. Thank God my daughter and I do not have any lasting effects from what we went through, but the memory is burned into mine and my husband’s minds forever.

Help us #endAFE!

The AFE Foundation is funded by donations. Every dollar goes toward our support, research, and education programs. We are committed to turning donations into action, including yours.